- Mission is to understand and improve human lifespan and healthspan (or quality
- Mastery and lifespan
- Wealth defined as the number of great people in your life?
- 80 is lifespan
- 40 is where healthspan starts to dip
- At 70 you’re halfway done with healthspan
- You want more of both!
- Health compounds!
- Prevention > treatment
- Cancer spends > 80% of its life undetectable. You need to be aware that it
does not happen overnight
- Healthspan is composed of mind body and spirit
- Mind measured by executive function, processing speed, short term memory
- Body is maintenance of muscle mass, ability to carry out functional movement,
frequency of pain
- Spirit is sense of purpose and social support
- To increase healthspan, move these levers positively. Eating, sleeping,
exercise, stress management, drugs and hormones, learning to avoid harmful
- 3 diseases: cardio disease, cancer, neurodegenerative disease. These are main
causes of death outside drinking/smoking and suicide
- People who live to 100 have genetic advantages. Their genes code for proteins
which offer protection from the above
- Cyclic fasting > caloric restriction
- Wisconsin study shows that caloric restriction only works for monkeys with
already bad diets cause they cut out crap. No effect on healthy normal diet
- Only rapomicin (drug) extends life
- Next frontier is fixing aging like gray hair and muscle loss
- Autophagy is the backing concept for cyclic fasting. Self killing cells.
Collect the good parts get rid of the bad parts. Happens when you’re hungry
- No clue how to optimize for autophagy. Can’t measure in humans
- Benefits of lifting/exercise?
- Dense bones help prevent breakage
- Metabolic benefits are best. Help with glucose regulation, need to keep
glucose levels low and stdev low
- Don’t anchor your ego to being right. Shed things when data says differently.
Anchor it to knowing as much as possible.