- 1 engineer: 12-14 hours a day coding, woohoo
- 2-10 engineers: 60% coding ,40% hiring. Player-coach
- 11-50 engineers: At this point, I believe technical co-founders have a binary choice: Stay on the technical track and hire a professional manager (usually given the VP of Engineering title), or give up coding and focus on the management aspects yourself. It really isn’t possible to do both.
- By the time we reached around 50 engineers, I was spending 60% of my time being the best manager I possibly could to my direct reports, and training other engineering managers in the team to do the same. The remaining 40% of my time was spent recruiting.
- My enjoyment now comes less from the things I do myself and more from the impact that I helped others to have.