- Moved around a ton. 11 schools as a kid
- Undergrad research on neural networks. Not enough compute
- Joined Google in 1999
- Worked on MapReduce. Reliably at scale
- Beginning of resurrection of neural networks around 2008
Next 5 years (from 2018): automated machine learning. E.g. maximize throughput through intersections in cities. Should be universally available to all cities, not just those with deep learning specialists
- Differential privacy is a mathematical definition for the privacy loss that results to individuals when their private information is used in the creation of a data product.