TL;DR: Good-not-great story, a little bit gimmicky, maybe I related to him even a little bit with some of the obsessive thinking?
- Everything is super literal, since that’s how Christopher perceives the world.
Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them. (12)
I think people believe in heaven because they don't like the idea of dying, because they want to carry on living and they don't like the idea that other people will move into their house and put their things into the rubbish. (33)
This shows that intuition can sometimes get things wrong. And intuition is what people use in life to make decisions. But logic can help you work out the right answer. (65)
Feelings are just a picture on the screen in your head of what is going to happen tomorrow or next year, or what might have happened instead of what did happen, and if it is a happy picture they smile and if it is a sad picture they cry. (119)
And there is life on Earth because of an accident. But it is a very special kind of accident. And for this accident to happen in this special way, there have to be 3 conditions. And these are 1) Things have to make copies of themselves (this is called Replication), 2) They have to make small mistakes when they do this (this is called Mutation), 3) These mistakes have to be the same in their copies (this is called Heritability) (164)
- Christopher is autistic/Asperger’s and the story is told from his point of view. This takes a large toll on everyone around him, most dramatically his immediate family
- Christopher is sad to find out that his neighbor’s dog Wellington has been killed. He is determined to investigate. His neighbor’s name is Ms. Shears.
- Christopher’s Dad is the one who killed Wellington. He has also been lying about the death of Christopher’s mother. These are both related to the fact that the neighbor’s husband had an affair with Christopher’s mother and they both ran away
- Christopher is scared because he thinks his Dad is also capable of killing him, so he runs away to be with his Mother in London.
- The book ends on uncertain terms when Christopher’s mom chooses him over Mr. Shears, but doesn’t end up with Christopher’s dad either, so Christopher and his Mom move in to a spot together and he continues to attend his special school.